Embed mathematical problem-solving and reasoning with our Problem-Solving Strategies and Skills Maths Cards.
One of the three aims of the National Curriculum for Maths is that children can solve problems by applying their mathematics to a variety of routine and non-routine problems with increasing sophistication, including breaking down problems into a series of simpler steps and persevering in seeking solutions.
The Problem Solving range includes three boxes for each year group, Year 1 to Year 6, comprising:
- 30 Number and Algebra cards, plus answers
- 30 Measurement and Geometry cards, plus answers
- 30 Statistics and Chance cards, plus answers
Boxes are sold individually, as a Year Group pack of 3, and as a School Solution pack of 18.
Core Concepts in Each Section Include :
Number and Algebra
- counting, number recognition and ordinal numbers
- addition and subtraction
- multiplication and division
Measurement and Geometry
- area and perimeter
- 2-D shapes
- 3-D objects
- location and transformation
Statistics and Chance
- finding possible outcomes
- data represented in column graphs, line graphs, tables, pictographs, pie charts and other forms
Sample Cards from Each Box:
Cards feature a variety of problem-solving questions including: word problems, logic problems, visual problems, rules and patterns, and finding all possibilities. See examples below:
The front of each card has a mathematics word problem for pupils to solve and the reverse of each card has an extension activity for more able pupils. The problems involve one or several steps, require the use of a variety of strategies and skills and are supported by colourful artwork. The range presents:
- Varied, real-life and challenging problems, requiring one or more steps and the use of different strategies and skills.
- Activities that enable pupils to practise maths concepts taught in class through problems.
- Extension problems on the reverse of each card to stretch the problem-solving skills of more able pupils.