How to Make a Nativity Paper Toy
This blog post is written by Heather, founder of the innovative Early Years and Primary printable activity site Mrs Mactivity.
It’s Christmas! Or at least it nearly is. If there’s one time of year when it’s pure joy to work with children – then it has to be Christmas. The excitement, the sparkles, the presents, the laughter – and that’s not even thinking about the various performances, nativities and parties! It also gives everyone a good chance to get really creative, and these Christmas paper toys are simply ideal. Each child can decorate their own Nativity paper toy with whatever comes to hand – be it coloured pencils, felt tips, paints, glittery things or whatever you have around. When each paper toy is made, it can either become a super Christmas ornament, or a home made tree decoration – just insert a little twine or string.
For this Christmas paper toy, you will need
- A copy of our Nativity paper toy templates, these are available at the bottom of this post and also on our website. We also have a coloured version if you wanted to create something a little more ready-made.
- Plain paper
- Colouring materials, for example coloured pencils and felt tips
- Sellotape or glue
How to make your Christmas paper toy
- Print out all the Nativity paper toy templates – or just print the design that appeals to you the most. You can choose from Joseph, Mary, baby Jesus, an angel, the wise men, shepherds and more!
- Cut out the shapes, then decorate them how you wish! Be as creative as you can.
- Bend the cones round and then using either glue or Sellotape, fasten them into a cone shape. When your shape is complete, you can then add on extras like the arms and hats included in the template.
- If you want to make your Nativity paper toy into a tree decoration, use a single hole puncher to make a hole in the top, then thread some twine or string through. Make it into a loop by tying a knot in the top.
- You’re done! For added fun, ask your children to act out the nativity story with their fun paper toys.
If you like this, you might like the rest of our Christmas crafts and activities too. Don’t forget to download your free Mrs Mactivity Christmas sheets below.